Friday, October 3, 2008

Palin-Biden Debate, Initial Thoughts

The expectations for Palin (especially after the Couric interviews) were so low that people were expecting her to get massacred. That obviously did not happen. In that sense, it was a victory for Palin.

Aside from the expectations game, I thought the one thing that stuck with me was Palin's choice to ignore the question at hand, repeatedly. I've seen it happen in debates, but I've never seen it done so blatantly.

The shorter format, especially since there wasn't any specific follow-up from the moderater, worked for Palin. She was able to stick to her talking points. Even with this advantage, Palin at times came across as someone enrolled in a public speaking course.

Biden came across as dignified and capable. Palin came across as ordinary and likable. (I use the word ordinary in the the average person context, not in a pejorative sense.)

Maybe this is just me, but it seemed like Palin was smirking and was in general a lot less respectful than Biden was of Palin.

1 comment:

denice & ed said...

i agree with you that palin seemed smirky but of course i find her annoying in general. was disappointed she didn't make me laugh once. biden did far better than i though the would. am feeling hopeful again.